Memories from High School

 

"To breathe properly is to live properly." — Robin S. Sharma

High school is often seen as a thrilling adventure, a time filled with new experiences and endless possibilities. The anticipation of leaving primary school behind and stepping into high school brings joy and excitement not only to you but also to your parents. Saying goodbye to close friends as they head off to different high schools is bittersweet. You capture that poignant moment with a photo in front of the school, just like on your first day of primary school. In Grade 7, you feel so grown-up and important, but as soon as you start Grade 8, you realize you’re the baby all over again.

This was my experience too. Despite spending more time in the hospital than at school, my parents made my first day of high school very special. I had probably attended high school for about six months when I suffered a severe attack that caused my airways to close. I was unconscious for about three and a half hours. Rushed to Panorama Hospital and then via ambulance to Tygerberg Hospital, my mom, a nursing sister, knew the importance of oxygen. She made sure the mask never left my face and kept me from swallowing my tongue by holding her thumb in my mouth. Despite my convulsions and biting her thumb until it turned completely blue, she never moved it once.

I spent about two weeks in the ICU before being transferred back to Panorama Hospital under Dr. Jan Vermeulen's care. The professors and students at Tygerberg were incredible, keeping a constant watch over me. After this episode, I was taken out of school and started homeschooling with Intec.

Homeschooling was a new and challenging experience. In my Grade 11 year, I had to submit my marks, as my goal was to study psychology. Unfortunately, universities back then didn't accept homeschooling like they do today, so I had to finish my Grade 12 at a school. My parents chose Hoffman House College, which turned out to be the best decision. I excelled there thanks to their understanding and support, especially when I was hospitalized. They helped me catch up with my work, and I made some amazing friends, including one very special friend.

As in primary school, catching up with homework was a constant part of my life. One Friday afternoon, I drove to this special friend's house to get my homework, and as I pulled into the driveway, I saw him—tall, dark, and handsome. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find a man. The saying "elke pot het sy deksel" is so true. Despite being teased for the way I breathed, this guy looked past it and asked me on a date the very next day. He saw me for who I was, not my breathing difficulties.

That day marked the beginning of a beautiful journey. He embraced my challenges and saw beyond my illness. Our relationship blossomed, proving that true love looks past the superficial and embraces the person as a whole. This man didn’t see my breathing issues; he saw me.

Things happen for a reason. The Lord puts you on a journey you don't always understand, but if it weren't for my school journey and this amazing friend, whose cousin was staying with them at the time, I would never have met this gorgeous guy and married him. This journey, filled with its ups and downs, led me to someone who became my rock and partner in life.

The experiences I went through, the hospitals, the homeschooling, and the support from my family and friends, all culminated in a life filled with love and resilience. My journey through high school was anything but typical, yet it was uniquely mine, shaping me into who I am today.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5-6.



www.newbreath.co.za

Comments

  1. Such a true warrior and always so positive you see the beauty shining through you.Thank you for sharing your journey as it inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to Inspiration Begins

Elke pot het sy deksel (Every pot has its lid)